Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Ask Angel about Feline Asthma


Feline Asthma is a very tough disease and diagnosis. When I first started coughing, Mom thought I had a hairball. I felt like I had a hairball. But I didn't barf anything up. Instead I got short of breath, my tongue started sticking out of my mouth and turning blue, and I became very frantic. Symptoms can vary from cat to cat. My symptoms are consistent with feline asthma except for one big difference: my diaphragm is paralyzed. Paralyzed you ask? How did that happen? Well if you can tell me I will be very grateful. My vets cannot figure this out and Mom has no idea. It is, as they say, a mystery.

Mom has spent a bundle on me. I am on Prednisolone, Theophylline, Albuterol, oxygen, and Rescue Remedy for Pets. I am also on antibiotics and pain medication following my dental on Aug. 11 where I had 11 infected teeth and roots extracted. I have had three blind BALs (neutrophils showing up all alone), a fluoroscopy, and all sorts of cultures. The diagnosis remains the same: feline asthma, paralyzed diaphragm, and pneumonia.

I have anxiety attacks. These occur when I cannot breathe. Which is pretty common I hear. Once my infected teeth were removed the attacks stopped. Until August 21.

I had a bad bad attack August 21. The Vet School at MU told Mom I had an anxiety attack. They put me in oxygen for 2 days and then I got to go home where I was much better again. This feline asthma is a roller-coaster.

Mom went back to Kilgore's and got my oxygen concentrator again. I had it for three months but since I was not needing it she took it back. I had to use it the moment she got it downstairs into my room. I was having another anxiety attack. But several minutes of the oxygen and I was fine again. I am getting very good with this therapy. I just stick my nose up to the plastic tube and inhale. Ahhhhhhh.....

Do you have a cat with asthma? Do you have any questions to ask me? I have a lot of time and when I am breathing OK, time to respond!

Angel the Cat




August 25, 2008

I am having a bad breathing day again. Mom is using my oxygen concentrator on me each time she visits. Which is not often enough:( I have to live in her spare bedroom where it is less stressful and hectic for a cat with feline asthma. Here I nestle among the pillows on her bed, snuggling into the soft bedspread to snooze. Sometimes I can sleep on my side, but not often. It is one of the changes in my life since developing asthma. I don't play much and try not to think of the walks Mom and I used to take outdoors where I would wear my harness and leash and prance like a pony. Now I mostly sit and watch the butterflies out my window, or think deep cat thoughts. When Mom arrives I meow and beg for attention, food, and now a days, my oxygen "fill".

I wish I had better news like I am cured now that I have gotten my 11 bad teeth taken out. That was my theory since I was almost like myself the day of the surgery up until Aug. 21st. Now I have to think about this being my reality, there is no cure, there is only what there is each day. I cherish my days and still enjoy my time here.

Angel the Cat

No comments:

Post a Comment